R-1 Religious Worker

About the service

The R-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa category available to religious workers who wish to temporarily work in the United States for a religious organization or affiliated nonprofit religious organization. This visa category is designed to facilitate the entry of individuals who will be engaged in religious occupations or vocations, such as ministers, priests, monks, nuns, and religious missionaries.

Benefits of the status/service

  • Facilitated Religious Work: The R-1 visa allows religious workers to enter the United States temporarily to perform religious duties, such as leading worship services, conducting religious rituals, providing spiritual counseling, and engaging in religious instruction or missionary work.
  • Temporary Employment Authorization: R-1 visa holders are authorized to work for a specific religious organization or affiliated nonprofit religious organization in the United States for a temporary period, typically up to five years, with the possibility of extensions.
  • Cultural Exchange and Outreach: The R-1 visa program promotes cultural exchange and religious outreach by allowing religious workers to share their faith, traditions, and values with communities in the United States and engage in charitable and religious activities.

Why RAM Law Firm

At RAM Law Firm, we understand the importance of the R-1 visa for religious workers seeking to fulfill their calling and contribute to religious communities in the United States. Here’s why you should choose us to assist you with your R-1 visa application:

  • Immigration Expertise: Our team of experienced immigration attorneys specializes in U.S. immigration law, including the R-1 visa category. We provide expert legal guidance tailored to each client’s unique religious vocation and circumstances.
  • Comprehensive Support: We offer comprehensive support throughout the R-1 visa application process, from evaluating eligibility and preparing the necessary documentation to navigating potential challenges and facilitating communication with U.S. immigration authorities.
  • Efficient Handling: With our efficient handling of R-1 visa applications, we strive to minimize processing times and ensure that religious workers can enter the United States expeditiously to serve their religious communities and fulfill their vocational responsibilities.

Ram Law Firm

Frequently Ask Questions

  • Who is eligible for an R-1 visa as a religious worker?

    Religious workers who have been members of a religious denomination for at least two years and will be employed by a qualifying religious organization or affiliated nonprofit religious organization in the United States may be eligible for an R-1 visa.
  • What types of religious occupations or vocations qualify for an R-1 visa?

    Eligible religious occupations or vocations include, but are not limited to, ministers, priests, monks, nuns, religious instructors, missionaries, and other individuals engaged in religious duties and functions.
  • Is there a limit to the duration of stay on an R-1 visa?

    R-1 visa holders can initially stay in the United States for up to 30 months (2.5 years), with the possibility of extending their stay for an additional 30 months, for a maximum total stay of five years. Extensions are subject to approval by USCIS.
  • Can R-1 visa holders bring their family members to the United States?

    Yes, R-1 visa holders may be accompanied by their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 as dependents. Dependents can obtain R-2 visas, allowing them to live in the U.S. but not granting work authorization.
  • Can R-1 visa holders change employers in the United States?

    R-1 visa holders can change employers in the United States, provided that the new employer is a qualifying religious organization or affiliated nonprofit religious organization and files a new R-1 visa petition on their behalf before the individual commences employment with the new employer.
Mergers & Acquisitions/Structuring

Mergers & Acquisitions/Structuring

Real Estate Transactions

Real Estate Transactions

General Corporate Law

General Corporate Law

Immigration Law

Immigration Law

Trusted By

Our Customers


Free Case Evaluation

Contact Us Today